ADSM-L

mksysb tapes on fibre-attached 3590

2004-03-22 14:36:27
Subject: mksysb tapes on fibre-attached 3590
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT MAIL.TJU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 14:35:43 -0500
We are considering migrating our TSM system to an AIX system with 3590
tape drives in a 3494 tape library. The drives would be connected using
FCP (Fibre Channel Protocol). The host would be a pSeries system. We are
currently leaning toward a p650.

Given this configuration, would it be possible to restore AIX using
3590 mksysb tapes? If so, would it done by booting from tape or by
booting from CD and telling the software to read a mksysb tape? How
would we deal with the library? In particular, would we have to use
the stand-alone tape feature of the library?