ADSM-L

TSM for System Backup and Recovery

2004-03-17 12:57:04
Subject: TSM for System Backup and Recovery
From: "Rozmiarek, Bill" <bill.rozmiarek AT CAPITALONE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 12:56:36 -0500
We currently use sysback (it's an older version when it was still called
sysback) with stand alone tape drives to backup our server's images.  We
also have TSM in our environment.  TSM spits out a very nice Disaster
Recovery log every night which tells us exactly what tapes are needed to
restore our system should a disaster happen.
In order to integrate our Sysback image tapes into our DR Pull list, I would
like to do the following:

- Backup our system images using TSM for System Backup and Recovery (the new
sysback with TSM hooks).  These images would be dumped directly to a TSM
tape storage group.  Co-location (or whatever it's called) would be turned
on so that only one client would write to an individual tape.
- These tapes would immediately be marked read-only and sent off site.
- Some SELECTing would be done so that we know which tape belonged to each
system.
- When it came time for Disaster Recovery testing or a real disaster, we
would pull all of our tapes and begin to restore our systems.
- I do not want to wait until my TSM server is up and running before I can
begin to restore my other AIX systerms.  So I would like to take the tapes
that TSM wrote as part of the TSM for System Backup and Recovery and put
them in stand-alone drives to recover the other systems.

Here's my real question:
If a SYSBACK image is saved to a TSM tape storage group instead of to a
stand-alone tape drive, can the system be recovered without TSM up and
running?

Thanks.

-Bill

Bill Rozmiarek