ADSM-L

AW: AW: Simple Backup Copy Group Question

2004-03-17 04:29:24
Subject: AW: AW: Simple Backup Copy Group Question
From: Salak Juraj <j.salak AT ASAMER DOT AT>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 10:33:36 +0100
>> Regarding the " " arround the dir/filespec, is this necessary to make it
work?
Surely not with W2K clients, as long as there are no spaces in dir/file
names.

I am not sure about unix clients, because on command line
behaves the file names expansion differently (actually
because of the differeniece in command line shells,
not in tsm clients), namely the asterix
is beeing expanded through the shell prior the (tsm)
program start and passed to
the tsm client as series of unique dir/file names
eg.g.
        dsmc incr /dir/*txt
would for example actually start
        dsmc incr /dir/a.txt /dir/b.txt /dir/c.txt
(assuming there are exactly this 3 txt files)

This behaviour is very probably not the case with
asterixes in .opt files,
because the .opt file is fully under the control
of tsm clinet as opposite of beeing interpreted by command line shell.

But maybe, though not very likely,
the TSM designers decided to make the .opt file
behave similar to command line and expand
the asterixes
        include *.txt mgmtclass
at the very moment of the program start.
This WOULD make a difference - e.g.
a later created file d.txt would not be seen as part of
this include.

As I am more interested in this think working
and less in knowing this detail,
I simply always put "" around.

Second:
I usually have few dir´s containing spaces,
there i must use quotes anyway.
I prefer things to be nice, means in this case
having very samy syntax, so I use quotes
on all includes.

:)
Juraj