ADSM-L

Re: Veritas backup exec client and TSM server

2004-03-15 14:16:54
Subject: Re: Veritas backup exec client and TSM server
From: Charlie Hurtubise <charlieh AT TECSYS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 14:15:43 -0500
Hello, just my humble experience here...

As posted, Veritas has been doing this for years and we've had it in place for
years. As we are new Tivoli users, we did not purchase the Tivoli Exchange
license (pretty expensive!), but continue to use Veritas (now 9.1), on our new
Exchange 2003 server. We let Tivoli backup the bi-weekly Full Veritas mailbox
file, then backup daily Veritas mailbox incrementals.

Fun thing is we cannot backup the Exchange 2003 store now with our older
Veritas Exchange license... we'd have to upgrade the Veritas license for 2003,
still cheaper than Tivoli. We would need this to flush the Exchange logs after
a Full backup. Instead, I use the MS Backup to do the store backup weekly, this
output again backed up by Tivoli.

Why we do all this is strange anyway, I guess for mostly legal reasons. If
you've ever had to restore an e-mail from a year or two ago (we had to for
legal reasons), it's like shooting in the dark... or finding a needle in a
haystack. We are not a big company and MIS resources are tight (as many of you
probably are). Each of us handles 24 things. Spare servers sitting around are
next to impossible, unless you are a financial, pharmaceutical, Walmart, IBM,
MicroSoft .. any company that makes BIG money.. you live in your own worlds
believe me.

Anyway, since e-mail backups are done at points of time, an e-mail might arrive
then disappear (deleted or moved automatically or by the user to a personal
folder) before it's backed up. Sync that with personal folder backups etc. and
it's real fun. Try to restore an Exchange 5.5 store to a 2003 server, or to
another testbed server.. you have to use the same server name for the store
etc. Then find the missing e-mails by restoring every backup and/or backup logs
from 2 years ago... no wonder the 3 day thing.

Charlie Hurtubise
charlieh AT tecsys DOT com