ADSM-L

Re: veritas backup exec client and TSM server

2004-03-15 12:12:44
Subject: Re: veritas backup exec client and TSM server
From: David E Ehresman <deehre01 AT LOUISVILLE DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 12:11:42 -0500
How is this a loss to IBM?  If they back up to a tsm server then they
have to be defined as a node and IBM gets its nickel and if they are
using an unsupported client then IBM doesn't have to use its resources
for support.

>>> r.post AT SARA DOT NL 3/15/2004 11:37:35 AM >>>
Hi all,

one of my users pointed out to me that veritas backup exec 9.1 supports
few features that could make this a usefull product for them:

1- restore of single mailboxes or messages in exchange
2- TSM server as storage
3- better centralisation of backup logging for non-TSM administrators

This does indeed seem to be the case. So now my question is, does
anybody
have experience with such a set-up? What are the up and down-sides of
an
environment with veritas clients on a TSM client? In particular the
first
and the third feature do appeal to them, since restoring a single mail
message now takes them about 3 days!

The other question one might ask, is IBM ever going to wake up and
realise
that these features are a show-stopper for implementations of their
product
in an exchange environment? It now seems we have a viable alternative
to spent
our money (hint!!!).

--
Met vriendelijke groeten,

Remco Post

SARA - Reken- en Netwerkdiensten
http://www.sara.nl
High Performance Computing  Tel. +31 20 592 8008    Fax. +31 20 668
3167

"I really didn't foresee the Internet. But then, neither did the
computer
industry. Not that that tells us very much of course - the computer
industry
didn't even foresee that the century was going to end." -- Douglas
Adams