ADSM-L

Re: Accessing to a WORM Optical Library

2004-03-10 07:08:03
Subject: Re: Accessing to a WORM Optical Library
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 07:07:38 -0500
>We have a customer request to import into TSM 6 Terabytes of WORM optical
>volumes.
>WORM volumes could not be writable, apparently we could access to those
>volumes like a windows file system.
>How could TSM be able to know about the existence of those files (like doing
>an inventory and cataloging those files)?
>Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Your customer is very confused as to what TSM is...
TSM is a long-term repository for data which originated on computer systems.
You don't randomly "import" foreign data into TSM.
To have that data in TSM you need to have it at least temporarily
reside on a client system, then do a Backup or Archive, whereupon it
will be associated with that client and file system from which it came.

You should have your customer sit down and think over just what it is
they are trying to accomplish.  Whereas the data is already on an
archival media, it doesn't make a lot of sense to then also put it
onto tape.

   Richard Sims,  http://people.bu.edu/rbs