ADSM-L

Re: Automated DRM volume handling LTO 3582 library

2004-03-09 08:12:43
Subject: Re: Automated DRM volume handling LTO 3582 library
From: Bill Boyer <bill.boyer AT VERIZON DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 08:12:16 -0500
Our instructions to the operations staff is when tapes come back they keep
them stacked near the library. When they vault as many tapes come out, they
put that many scratch tapes in. The CHECKIN LIBV is scheduled to checkin
any/all tapes STATUS=SCRATCH in the I/O door (SEARCH=BULK) or SEARCH=YES for
libraries that don't have any I/O door. In that case the operators just open
the library, pull out the tapes called for and put a scratch tape back in
that slot AND NO OTHERS! There was a site where the operator would fill all
empty slots and not look to see if there were any tapes mounted in drives.
Library goes to put the tape back in the home slot and finds a tape there.
Kinda hoses things up!

Bill Boyer
DSS, Inc.