ADSM-L

Define Drive mystery in SCSI library

2004-03-08 20:36:01
Subject: Define Drive mystery in SCSI library
From: Roger Deschner <rogerd AT UIC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 19:35:31 -0600
We added three new Super-DLT drives to our existing Quantum ATL P7000
library - upgrading from five drives to eight. The previous five drives
are OK and working, but TSM (5.1.6.5 on AIX 5.2) cannot see the three
new ones.

The existing 5 drives, named drive0-drive4, have Element Numbers
128-132. The problem is when I do

 tsm: ADSM>define drive atllib drive5 element=133
 ANR8366E DEFINE DRIVE: Invalid value for ELEMENT parameter.
 ANS8001I Return code 3.

I'm probably missing something simple here. Here's what I've tried
already.

Restarting the server, and rebooting AIX.

The new drives were visible to AIX as soon as I ran cfgmgr, at the SCSI
addresses expected. I used smit to define them as "Tivoli Storage
Manager Devices". Everything went according to expectations, except that
TSM won't recognize the Element Numbers of the new drives. I tried all
possible element numbers in the range, in case the ATL guy miswired
something. Nothing worked in TSM even though AIX seemed very happy about
these new drives. I even tried undefining and redefining one of the
existing drives (and its Path, of course) and that worked OK.

I can't even get far enough to do a define path until I get it to accept
the new element numbers. What obvious, simple thing am I overlooking?