ADSM-L

Re: TSM and Windows 98

2004-03-08 10:24:58
Subject: Re: TSM and Windows 98
From: Bill Fitzgerald <wfitzger AT MHC DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 10:24:06 -0500
I realize this to be the case. But as TSM administrator, I was/am
obligated to ask the question just so I have the information. Have to
cover all the bases as it were. In truth, I hope this will force them
into going to XP pro as the desktop or spend the money and migrate the
application to the Novell network servers.

Again, I think you for confirming what I thought to be the truth.

>>> storman AT US.IBM DOT COM 03/08/04 10:15AM >>>
> If there a way to run the Windows 9X client and still
> have the PC not signed on? As a "service"?

In answer to your question, no.

I'm sure I'm stating the obvious, but Windows 9x is certainly not the
platform for highly sensitive data. My advice would be to move the data
an NT-based (or other secure) operating system.

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group

The command line is your friend.

Bill Fitzgerald <wfitzger AT MHC DOT NET>
03/08/2004 08:06
Please respond to
"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager"

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
TSM and Windows 98

I have 3 clients that are currently using Windows 98se and have
standalone applications that cannot  run on the Novell network.
They need to be backed up automatically on a daily basis, but because
the information on them is highly sensitive (we are a hospital) the
desktop can not be left signed on 24X7. Even a password protected screen
saver is not really acceptable as far as the data security people are
concerned.

If there a way to run the Windows 9X client and still have the PC not
signed on? As a "service"?

Thanks in advance

Bill

William Fitzgerald