ADSM-L

AW: is there a way to.....

2004-03-05 13:47:13
Subject: AW: is there a way to.....
From: Salak Juraj <j.salak AT ASAMER DOT AT>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 19:51:10 +0100
Hi, I am afraid this is wrong.
I do not now any way how to store/restore security information only apart
from using special tools.

The one I used to use can be found on www.lanicu.com and could help you,
if it is worth for you to invest couple of hours (download, read manual,
install, test, use). As far as I can remember there used to be test version
donloadable,
fully functional, time restricted.

The scenario would look like that:
1) restore your files(!) along with security information
to another path or another server in the same domain (this is critical)
2) run the iculan tool ("intensive care", I believe)
to save security information of files restored.
This will be saved in plain text file.
3) delete all those restored files, you won´t need them any more.
4) edit paths in the text file above so that they point to your original
path.
5) run the iculan tool to apply the security information from the text file
to your original files.

This will NOT save you from restoring all file this time,
but you can labor while others are using your file server.
If this suites to you or not, only you can decide.

And, if you are afraid this situation can repeat
, you could use the iculan
for daily saving of complete domain information to text files,
thus be ready for next disaster, then without need to restore files.

Not an easy, but once in use it works like a breeze, - you decide
if it is worth the time and money.

No, I am not associated with the producer company by any means,
I only used to be happy with them in my previous company.

regards
Juraj