ADSM-L

Re: Script to checkout tapes

2004-03-05 10:36:17
Subject: Re: Script to checkout tapes
From: Paul Fielding <paulweb AT FIELDING DOT CA>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 08:44:07 -0700
You're opening a big can of worms doing it with only 1 drive.  That and you
need to deal with the fact that tape reclamation is a pain in the butt to deal
with tapes that aren't left in the library.   Are you planning on taking just
the exchange data out of the library, or both the exchange data *and* the flat
file data for the box?

I don't have a script for you, but I might try the following:

- Create a separate tapepool to send your exchange data to. This will make it
easier to get the tapes out of the library.

- send the exchange data to a mgtclass copy group that points to this
tapepool.  You may wish to use a separate policy domain to be absolutely sure
that all data goes to the right place. (Different people have differing
opinions on this).

- If you're just doing exchange db data, each tape will eventually expire all
it's data and you can check it back in as scratch.

- If you're also taking out the flat file data, I would do an archive of the
flat file data instead of a backup, send the archive copy group to this new
tapepool.  Set the copy group retention to expire about the same time as the
exchange data will roll off.  In this way the tape will become completely emtpy
at the right time, without the need for reclamation.

This is a bit simplified, but it might give you a direction to start looking.
There's several variations on a theme here.  If you're keeping the tapes on a
shelf and need to be able to mount them at a moment's notice, you might want to
look into the Move Media command (as opposed to move drmedia).  It will allow
you to remove tape sfrom the library yet keep them readily available for tape
mounts.

Good luck!

Paul