ADSM-L

RMAN + TDP for Oracle Problems

2004-03-04 18:11:36
Subject: RMAN + TDP for Oracle Problems
From: "Zhu, David" <David.Zhu AT KRAFT DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 18:08:54 -0500
Hi,

I am having some weird problems with TSM, RMAN and TDP for Oracle.
Everything is on Windows 2000, above the 5.2 level, server and clients (2
Oracle servers running on 2 MSCS clusters) are at 5.2.2.  We are using a
3584 with 6 3580-LTO2 drives connected on the SAN with a McData 4500 switch.

We have been doing LAN-Free backup/restore (incremental, selective, restore)
using multiple drives from these two Oracle servers directly to tape without
a problem, but with RMAN it is a totally different story.  We have been
trying to do RMAN Level 0, 1 and 2 backups using 4 channels directly to
tape.  Last week, we could not get any backup to complete.  In the activity
log, two drives would show repeated ANR8779E errors: Unable to open drive
mt5.0.0.6 (and mt4.0.0.6), error number=170 or error number=5.  This would
cause a ANE4994S error: DP Oracle Win32 ANU0599 TDP for Oracle: (1136): =>
() ANS1301E (RC1) Server detected system error

So I put the two paths to those two drives offline.  I was able to get ONE
successful backup using 4 channels.  Then, another error started showing up:
ANR8311E I/O error occurred while accessing drive DRIVE4 (mt0.0.0.6) for
WRITE operation, errno = 1117.  This would cause the RMAN to fail about 60%
through a 250GB backup and the tape in the drive had its access set to
readonly.  So far this has happened to all four "good drives" and on 7
different tapes on two different nights.  And last night, the RMAN simply
stopped working all together.  It gave the following error:

RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
RMAN-03007: retryable error occurred during execution of command: allocate
RMAN-07004: unhandled exception during command execution on channel c1
RMAN-10035: exception raised in RPC: ORA-19554: error allocating device,
device type: SBT_TAPE, device name:
ORA-19557: device error, device type: SBT_TAPE, device name:
ORA-27000: skgfqsbi: failed to initialize storage subsystem (SBT) layer
ORA-19511: SBT error = 7011, errno = 2534, sbtopen: system error
RMAN-10031: ORA-19624 occurred during call to
DBMS_BACKUP_RESTORE.DEVICEALLOCATE

Recovery Manager complete.

The TSM server did not get a connection from that session.

Anybody out there have RMAN backing up directly to tape and have it working?

Regards,
David Zhu
TSM Support
david.zhu AT kraft DOT com