ADSM-L

Re: install new TSM but use database fro older version

2004-03-04 07:38:58
Subject: Re: install new TSM but use database fro older version
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 07:08:07 -0500
>I want to move to a newer TSM version but also going to a new machine.
>Is it possible to have the new machine with the new TSM installed and then
>use that to restore a database backup from an earlier TSM version?
>If yes, will it do the upgradedb automatically or do I have to run that
>manually?

Without specifics, we can't provide a specific answer.  A database backup
is intended to be a recovery tool for the TSM server instance which created
it: a db backup is not intended to be a portable migration aid.  You can
get away with moving to a new TSM instance with a db backup where all
conditions are essentially the same; but the more they diverge, the more
you are gambling.  See my notes on "dsmserv RESTORE DB" in
http://people.bu.edu/rbs/ADSM.QuickFacts and the numerous past discussions
of this topic in the List archives.

   Richard Sims