ADSM-L

Archive Schedule Objects Question

2004-03-03 14:13:08
Subject: Archive Schedule Objects Question
From: Alan Davenport <Alan.Davenport AT SELECTIVE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 14:12:29 -0500
Hello Group,

        I've just started archiving using schedule type of archive and I am
wondering if there is a way to specify all local hard drives in the objects
field. I've discovered that I cannot use a wildcard drive specification and
that I need to use "-subdir=yes". I'm working on archiving WinTel boxes.
Sure, I can specify all local drives in the Objects field my concerns with
this method  are two. 1: If another hard drive letter is defined in the
future and I am not informed (A normal occurrence!) the new drive will not
be archived and 2: If I just define a generic objects="C: D: E: F: G: H :I
..." in the schedule I may end up archiving CD/DVDROM drives, etc.

        So my question is this: Is there a way to specify all local drives
in the objects field in an archive schedule and if not, will I be required
to use a different schedule for each set of boxes with different number of
logical drives. Also, if I set a generic, all inclusive drives specification
will I end up archiving CD/DVDROMs? Any solutions and/or suggestions. I've
searched the ADSM.ORG and found no answer.

          Many thanks,
                 Al

Alan Davenport
Senior Storage Administrator