ADSM-L

Netware 4.1, Client 4.1.3 and Network Failure during backup?

2004-03-03 13:21:51
Subject: Netware 4.1, Client 4.1.3 and Network Failure during backup?
From: Paul Fielding <paulweb AT FIELDING DOT CA>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 11:12:34 -0700
Hi all,
Having dug though the archives I haven't found anything that looks quite like
this one, so I thought I'd throw it out there.

I'm currently implementing TSM at a site running several Netware 4.1 servers.
Understanding that it's no longer a supported platform, they still have a need
to back them up and appropriately we've installed the TSM 4.1.3 client as it's
the last client that reports supporting Netware 4.1 (anyone know otherwise?)

The Netware box is running the last available service pack for 4.1 before
support was discontinued.

Roughly two hours into the scheduled backup, it appears that all network
connectivity to the Netware server died.  The server was still running, but
could only be reached on local console.  Both IPX and TCP were knocked out.

On the TSM client side, the only messages were TCP communications failures (rc -
50), and on the Netware console side we saw the following:

NAV NLM WARNING Error
NAV NLM Logged out of NDS, Continuing in bindery mode
NAV NLM WARNING Error
NAV NLM Logged back into Directory Services

No idea if it's directly or indirectly related to our problem.

Networking came back when we rebooted the server.

Anyone have any ideas?

regards,

Paul