ADSM-L

Re: archive to tape ???

2004-03-02 13:07:11
Subject: Re: archive to tape ???
From: Michael D Schleif <mds AT HELICES DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 11:51:16 -0600
* Salak Juraj <j.salak AT ASAMER DOT AT> [2004:03:02:18:05:33+0100] scribed:
> Hi,
>
> > But, what about my idea to _archive_ from the disk array to tape?  Is
> > that not doable?  What are the flaws in this idea?  Comments?
>
> What do you mean by archiving from disks?

Currently, instead of tape, my client successfully uses TSM to `backup'
to 6TB disk array.  Not being expert in `archive', I thought that an
archive can be generated from TSM database, data for which resides on
that 6TB disk array.

> What do you not like by backup storage pools?

I do not have problem with backup storage pools, per se.  In fact, that
may turn out to be the optimal solution to the problem.

> Once you can afford moving tapes physically offsite,
> this works great.

What do you mean, ``afford moving tapes physically offsite''?

> I would suggest you describe less what others suggested,
> but what your business needs are:
>
>         - what is "your" catastrophic failure (TSM failure? OS failure?
>         Total TSM HW failure? Whole server room destroyed but network
>         still working? Whole server room including routers, switches,
>         cables burned down?
>         Whole building burned out including all safes and their content?
>         Both primary and secondary site burned down (twin towers case)?

The catastrophic failure my client wants to address is the total
destruction of DC#1 (data center).  In that event, although TSM#2 at
DC#2 is supposed to be an exact mirror of TSM#1 at DC#2, which no longer
exists, my client wants to know that they have at least two (2) recovery

   [1] recover from TSM#2, or
   [2] recover from offsite tape.

>         - what shall work how soon after the catastrophic failure?
>         Is it enough TSM Server be available 6 hours after failure?
>         Or must be all restores of all file servers totaling
>         million files and 1 TB done 6 hours
>         after failure?

Current expectation is twenty-four (24) hours for _all_ critical servers
to be functional.

>         - how old may be the restored data? Day? Two? Week? An hour?

According to plan, no data in TSM#2 nor on offsite tape will be _less_
current than forty-eight (48) hours.

>         - can you afford moving tapes physically offsite? How often?

Yes, in my original post, that is the *whole* idea behind my current
project:

   The client says that they want to copy daily to tape only the most
   recent version of files that have changed since previous day.

>         - what online connection to your second site you have?

T1 -- soon to be DS3.

>         - what TSM Hardware do you currently have?

   IBM 345 server, w2k, sp3
   3ware IDE over SCSI arrays, currently 6TB, 2TB yet unpopulated
   Overland LoaderXpress LTO-2, including 11-slot magazine

> Such kind of information will make it easier for forum members to give you a
> sound advice.

Thank you.

--
Best Regards,