ADSM-L

Re: LANFree and MSCS on Win2K

2004-03-02 11:54:56
Subject: Re: LANFree and MSCS on Win2K
From: "Adams, Matt (US - Hermitage)" <maadams AT DELOITTE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 10:54:26 -0600
Problems we are encountering with LAN-free and TSM.

TSM server 5.1.6.7
TSM 3494 library with 3590H drives
Clients: W2K Server and Qlogic 2310F card

The biggest problem we are facing is with the storage agents and tape
drive mappings.  If the tape drive goes off line for any reason, the
storageagent cannot recognize this and will have a problem with tape
mounts.  We have to take the tape drive off line to the storage agents,
and then when we finally run out of drives that the SA's can use, we
have to restart the TSM server, adsmscsi driver on the clients and the
storageagent service.  This is now occurring at least 3 times a week or
more.

When working with support, this is an issue because the TSM device
driver used is not a true plug and play device.  So when the drives go
offline, the device driver cannot pick up on this.  Only way to get
around is to restart TSM server.  As a way to minimize the impact until
we can do this, is we have a script that scans the clients and the tape
drives every hour.  If a tape drive goes off line, we take it off line
to the storage agent within an hour.  (This is the simplified
explanation of what the script does).

We are not able to resolve this until we go to StorageAgent version
5.2.x and TSM server version 5.2.x, which we are testing now.

I hope this helps.