ADSM-L

Re: AIX HSM and NFS

2004-02-27 11:58:57
Subject: Re: AIX HSM and NFS
From: Remco Post <r.post AT SARA DOT NL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 17:58:31 +0100
On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 15:22:12 -0700
"Spendlove, Ted" <Ted.Spendlove AT ATK DOT COM> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> First our environment:
> SERVER - TSM 5.1.1.6 on OS/390 2.10
> CLIENT - TSM 5.1.5.0 on AIX 4.3
>
> We are experimenting with Space Management (HSM) and our AIX guy has some
> problems/questions.
>
> Is there anything special about referencing an HSM filespace via NFS?
> I have a fully functional HSM FS on an NFS server, -
> I have the normal entries in /etc/exports, -
> I have done the normal 'exportfs -a' command, -
> I have issued the normal mount command from the client "mount
> hostname:/fsname  /mnt",  -
> I get message "mount: 1831-010 server hostname not responding: RPC:
> 1832-019 Program not registered".
>
> Am I missing  a step?

run /etc/rc.nfs or reboot.

then (if the mount stil fails), on the NFS client: rpcinfo -p <nfsserver>

If that fails, do the same on the server, if that does show your rpc
services: goto fix firewall

If on the server you don't see the nfs rpc services do a:
# lssrc -a

you should have at least:

Subsystem         Group            PID     Status
 portmap          portmap          11100   active
 biod             nfs              7230    active
 nfsd             nfs              11632   active
 rpc.mountd       nfs              13692   active
 rpc.statd        nfs              10634   active
 rpc.lockd        nfs              14452   active

for NFS to work. If any of these are inoperative, start them manually
(rc.nfs should have done that for you), if they fail: contact IBM, they will
tell you to upgrade the nsf-server's OS to a supported level, then try
again.

--
Met vriendelijke groeten,

Remco Post

SARA - Reken- en Netwerkdiensten                      http://www.sara.nl
High Performance Computing  Tel. +31 20 592 8008    Fax. +31 20 668 3167

"I really didn't foresee the Internet. But then, neither did the computer
industry. Not that that tells us very much of course - the computer industry
didn't even foresee that the century was going to end." -- Douglas Adams