ADSM-L

AW: Incremental backups

2004-02-26 04:16:41
Subject: AW: Incremental backups
From: Salak Juraj <j.salak AT ASAMER DOT AT>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 10:20:30 +0100
Hello,

While you are basically on the right way,
the exact answer cannot be given now,
as it depends upon:

- do you have to be able to restore any version which existed during last 2
years
 (a file changes each day and the user wants to restore the version from
february 26.th 2002)

 If yes, is i true for files which has been deleted some day during
 last 2 years or not?

- or you only have to be able to restore a (last version of) a file even 2
years
 after it has been deleted

- or do you have to be able to restore exact state of certain, listed
qualifying dates,
like 1.st of each month?

- are you sure you need to restore 2 yeras old system state?
Usually it makes little sense.

Depending on how many files change daily the first requirement
can be expensive in terms of TSM database and ST pool space.

In addition to setting verexist etc. do no forget to limit backups to
once per day maximum, otherwise subsequent backups during one day
could generate more file version during one day thus causing
the oldest you still need to expire.
This can be set in management classes "copy frequency=1".

I would personaly go for incremental backup only, no archives,
setting verexist etc. to 730 (depending on your exact requirements).
Except your requirements is this ony with qualifying dates (above).

One extra point which can be easily overseen:
when setting parameters for deleted files do not forget
that files renamed or moved to another location or files
in renamed directories are by TSM handled just like
pair of (deleted file + a new file).

For Backup of System state, both ways will work,
on AD controllers (very important servers)
I used to use both in paralell (a bit of paranoia, i know)
but swapped now to "backup systemstate" + VMWARE backup
of whole operating system (just another kind of paranoia).

While not an exact answer, hope it helped a bit

regards
juraj