ADSM-L

Re: restore data

2004-02-25 00:42:37
Subject: Re: restore data
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 22:42:01 -0700
Geetha,

Where do you see the "Scratch" status? From QUERY VOLUME results? If so,
this is normal, as it merely says that the volume was allocated by TSM
from an available set of scratch tapes, and will be returned to scratch
when the volume is empty. This is as opposed to being explicitly defined
to the storage pool by the TSM administrator, in which case the volume
remains in the storage pool even after it becomes empty. Scratch volumes
can be selected by more than one storage pool, while non-scratch volumes
are available only to the storage pool to which they were defined.

The fact that QUERY CONTENT or SELECT * FROM CONTENTS shows you
information does not mean that the data can actually be read. Those
commands display information stored in the database, and thus do not
actually confirm whether the data is actually readable.

It might help if you could post the full output from QUERY VOLUME
volumename F=D and QUERY LIBVOLUME volumename, plus all activity log
messages that are shown when the client tries to restore the file. This
will put the information in context.

Have you physically verified that the volume is actually available to TSM,
i.e. checked in to the library? What happens if you try to check the
volume out, then back in again?

And again, if you back up your storage pools to a copy storage pool --
hint, hint, *strongly* recommended -- then you can use the RESTORE VOLUME
command to restore the volume if all else fails. And if you are not
already backing up your storage pools, then you need to give serious
thought to implementing this feature in your environment.

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group

The command line is your friend.

Geetha Thanu <geeta AT CDFD.ORG DOT IN>
02/25/2004 11:35
Please respond to
"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager"

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Re: restore data

Hi,
Thanks for all who are helping me to solve my problems.
The problem with the select * command was as tols it is case sensitive.
when I gave CDFD, I can see the contents of the volume.
Evry thing is fine.
When I checked the volume is marked as scratch.
scratch volume? yes.
when I tried to change to private, using update libvolume command
it is saying updated but again scartch says yes.
May be this is the reason that when I restore data from it,
it is saying unavailabe.

Now how to change the status of the volume from scratch
to private.

Thanks once again

Geetha Thanu