ADSM-L

Re: J vs K 3590 Tapes

2004-02-24 07:33:28
Subject: Re: J vs K 3590 Tapes
From: Ian Smith <ian.smith AT COMPUTING-SERVICES.OXFORD.AC DOT UK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 12:33:03 +0000
David,

We have two copy stgpools, one on-site and one off-site. We
use K tapes for the primary and on-site copy stgpool and J tapes for the
off-site.
We have found the K tapes require much more careful handling - dropping one
on it's edge will almost certainly cause the tape to come into contact
with the inside edge of the cartridge case - this being due to reel of tape
sitting much closer to the edge because there is twice as much of it in a
K tape as a J tape.
The J tapes are comparatively much more robust and able to stand the
carriage to the off-site storage.

Regards
Ian Smith
Oxford University Computing Services, Oxford, UK.