ADSM-L

Re: Retroactive Excludes

2004-02-23 19:23:21
Subject: Re: Retroactive Excludes
From: Nicholas Cassimatis <nickpc AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 19:22:51 -0500

Jack,

You can create a client option set that binds all *.MP3 and *.WAV files to
a new management class that has settings of "1 1 0 0" for the retention
values, and assign it to all of your nodes.  Let one backup run, then
change the include to an exclude to expire the last active versions of the
files on the next backup.  This will purge them all from your TSM Server as
fast as possible.  If you don't need to get the space back ASAP, just doing
the client option set with the exclude will work (but the files will act as
if they were deleted, and be retained for the RetainOnly number of days,
which defaults to 60).

You may also want to look at *.MPC, *.OGG, *.APE and *.FLAC files.  These
are other forms of audio files that are becoming more popular on the
internet, so you may want to get a head start against backing them up.

Nick Cassimatis
nickpc AT us.ibm DOT com

Think twice, type once.

             "Coats, Jack"
             <Jack.Coats@BANKS
             TERLING.COM>                                               To
             Sent by: "ADSM:           ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
             Dist Stor                                                  cc
             Manager"
             <[email protected]                                     Subject
             .EDU>                     Retroactive Excludes

             02/23/2004 06:23
             PM

             Please respond to
             "ADSM: Dist Stor
                 Manager"

How can I drop backups of files on servers that have already been backed
up?

Our policy has changed.  We are no longer backing up *.MP3 and *.WAV files.
Is there a way I can get them to expire on all my backups?  Even for one
server at a time?

I doubt it, but curious.

GIF image

GIF image