ADSM-L

LAN free restore from shared library

2004-02-23 10:48:30
Subject: LAN free restore from shared library
From: Koen Willems <koen_willems AT HOTMAIL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 15:46:23 +0000
Dear listers,

I have a singel pseries running 2 TSM server instances the use one san
connected 3584 library.

One server instance is library manager and the second instance is a library
client.

I can restore TDP for SAP data from the second instance via LAN.

The thing I want to achieve is a LAN free restore of TDP sap/r3 data.

I have a storageagent talking to the second instance via port 1502 and a TDP
for sap talking to hte same instance.. restore start, sessions get opend on
the agent but the data still goes LAN ?

Does anybody has some expirience with this kind of configurations ?

A have already openend a call to tivoli but mabey the good old list will
beat them to it ?

By the way:

TSM server and agent level 5.1.7.
AIX 5.2.

The TSM 4.2 technical guide states:

4.2.1 LAN-free backup using SCSI tape library sharing
....feature allows multiple TSM servers to access the same tape library and
drives on a SAN as shown in Figure 4-2. One TSM server is dedicated as the
library manager to control the library operations. These operations include
mount, dismount, volume ownership and library inventory. Other servers
sharing the library are called library clients. They use server-to-server
communications to
contact the library manager to request the library service. Using this tape
library sharing feature, if the TSM client coexists on the library client as
shown...

in Figure 4-1 on page 120, the library client can write the client data to
the SAN-attached tape
library without going through the LAN. When a backup or restore is invoked,
the TSM client
establishes a connection with the TSM server on the local machine. The local
TSM server,
being a library client, then sends a volume mount request to the library
manager via
server-to-server communications. Once the volume is mounted, the TSM client
sends the
backup data to the local TSM server, and the TSM server writes directly to
SAN-attached
device.

Talk with your online friends with MSN Messenger http://messenger.msn.nl/