ADSM-L

Antwort: Re: Antwort: Re: Open File Support

2004-02-18 04:49:10
Subject: Antwort: Re: Antwort: Re: Open File Support
From: Karin Dambacher <karin.dambacher AT EMPRISE DOT DE>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 10:06:28 +0100
Hi,

yes I know the readme, but I I have tested it with closed files, and backup
is more slow. And if there is no option snapshotcachelocation in dsm.opt I
will get message ANS1327E which says, that he can not backup the file with
a snapshot, but why does he want to do it, the file is not open or locked.

Best regards, Karin

|---------+--------------------------->
|         |           Karel Bos       |
|         |           <Karel.Bos@NUON.|
|         |           COM>            |
|         |           Gesendet von:   |
|         |           "ADSM: Dist Stor|
|         |           Manager"        |
|         |           <[email protected]|
|         |           T.EDU>          |
|         |                           |
|         |                           |
|         |           17.02.2004 16:41|
|         |           Bitte antworten |
|         |           an "ADSM: Dist  |
|         |           Stor Manager"   |
|---------+--------------------------->

  |        An:      ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                                                                       |
  |        Kopie:   (Blindkopie: Karin Dambacher/Emprise)
                                                                |
  |        Thema:   Re: Antwort: Re: Open File Support

Hi,

This is from the readme.

Open file support for backup and archive operations on Windows 2000 and
Windows XP
If the Logical Volume Snapshot Agent (LVSA) is installed and configured for
open file support via the setup wizard, by default, Tivoli Storage Manager
performs a snapshot backup or archive of files that are open (or locked) by
other applications. The snapshot allows the backup or archive to be taken
from a point-in-time copy that matches the file system at the time the
snapshot is taken. Subsequent changes to the file system are not included
in
the backup or archive operation. You can use the include.fs option to
specify whether a drive uses open file support. See Open file support for
backup operations (Windows 2000, XP) and Open file support for archive
operations (Windows 2000, XP) for more information.

Note that it says only open or locked files are handeld, so theirs no way
this will slow down the back-up of non open files.

Regard,

Karel