ADSM-L

exclude questions

2004-02-13 10:22:25
Subject: exclude questions
From: "Wholey, Joseph (IDS DM&DS)" <joseph_wholey AT ML DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 10:09:18 -0500
Why, in the Backup-Archive Clients Installation and User's Guide v5.2 for Unix
does it recommend having the following as a minimum in the backup.excl file.

exclude /unix/                  >  yet to come across a directory called unix
on solaris, aix or linux.. so what do these two unix statements do?
exclude.dir /unix/              >
exclude /.../core                       > I know what this does

And finally, we've implemented the following (//.../*) in a backup.excl list
and proven that it does work, however, it's not documented anywhere in the
manuals so we don't want to deploy companywide
until we get confirmation that there are no adverse effects.

The first line excludes any file systems that may be added to a client without
our knowledge.  However, it was excluding / (root) as well.  Note: we put the
extra / in front of root, and it now works.
Does anyone have any insight?

exclude /*/.../*
include //.../* 31VER_31DAYS
include /var/.../* 31VER_31DAYS
include /orabackup/.../* 31VER_31DAYS
include /orahome/.../* 31VER_31DAYS
include /orapirelarch/.../* 31VER_31DAYS
include /app/lzrchk/.../* 31VER_31DAYS
exclude /.../core
exclude.fs /tmp
exclude.fs /etc/mnttab
exclude.fs /var/run
exclude.fs /dev/fd
exclude.fs /etc/mnttab
exclude.fs /proc
exclude.fs /orapirel01
exclude.fs /orapirel02
exclude.fs /orapirel03

If you are not an intended recipient of this e-mail, please notify
the sender, delete it and do not read, act upon, print, disclose,
copy, retain or redistribute it.

Click here for important additional terms relating to this e-mail.
     <http://www.ml.com/email_terms/>