ADSM-L

Re: Migration of TSM server from OS390 or Z-OS to a UNIX or Windows platform

2004-02-12 15:42:58
Subject: Re: Migration of TSM server from OS390 or Z-OS to a UNIX or Windows platform
From: "William F. Colwell" <bcolwell AT DRAPER DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 15:42:02 -0500
Hi Ryan,

I am at the tail end of a conversion from OS/390 to solaris.  I don't have
a document to share with you.  One nice thing that helped a lot is to do an
"export server filed=none" to a disk file on OS/390, FTP it using bin to the
UNIX box.
On the UNIX box define a devicetype to see the directory of the FTP file, them
do an
import server.  You will get all the node definitions, domains, schedules,
copygroups.
This was a big help for me.

After figuring out how to define a library and tape drives, the conversion
process is
a tedious matter of getting each client to connect to the new server and to do
a new backup.

Hope this helps,

Bill Colwell

At 11:35 AM 2/12/2004, you wrote:
>I know I have seen other messages about this before, so I hope I can find some
>info.  We are looking into migrating our TSM servers off of Z-OS and I would
>like to know if any one else has done this and if they have useful tips and
>maybe even a high level document of the process?
>
>Thanks!
>
>Ryan Miller
>Tivoli Certified Consultant
>Tivoli Storage Manager V4.1