ADSM-L

Re: Bare Metal Restore Intel

2004-02-12 11:28:29
Subject: Re: Bare Metal Restore Intel
From: Joe Howell <jhowell_tsm AT YAHOO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 08:28:07 -0800
Generally what we do is:

1 - Build base W2K system from same service pack level as the system we're
restoring, and use the same hostname and IP address
2 - Install TSM client
3 - Restore all drives and systemobject - Use "replace all" and do NOT reboot
when prompted following the restore
4 - Boot from the W2K install CD and start the setup routine; select Install
and then Repair - if Windows doesn't autodetect your SCSI or RAID card you'll
need a diskette with the drivers and will need to watch for the "press the F6
key" prompt when setup starts.
5 - Let the setup routine redetect hardware and reinstall the system files
6 - Hope it worked.  Generally this is not a problem but we've had some
difficulties with AD systems that we've not quite worked out.

Hope this helps.  As always, your mileage may vary.....

Henrik Hansson <henrik_hansson AT ALBINT DOT COM> wrote:
Hello TSM'ers

I know that a bare metal restore on a W2K system works fine as long as the
restore is doen to a similar system, hardware vice.

But do anyone know how to do the same to a system with different hardware?

I've tried it but haven't succeded. The system don't boot but give me a
system error.

1. Have anyone done such a restore to a diffrent hardware system?

2. Does anyone know if ITSM will support such in the future. I know that
veritas have a product that accomplish this.

Med Vdnlig Hdlsning/ Best Regards