ADSM-L

Re: URGENT! Linux and the 3584

2004-02-12 11:27:07
Subject: Re: URGENT! Linux and the 3584
From: David Henden <david.henden AT EXIST DOT SE>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 17:26:38 +0100
"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 2004-02-12
00:03:12:

> Hi All,
>
> I've got a Linux server running RH EL 3.0 and a 3584 with 2 FC connected
> drives on a QLogic 2340.
>
> Now I have the strange problem that I can operate the library with
> IBMtapeutil with no problem, but when I want to install the TSM Device
> Drivers they keep asking about /proc/scsi/lb and /proc/scsi/mt and I
don't
> have those entries.
>
> Some extra info:
>
> - Linux kernel 2.4.21-4.0.1.EL
> - TSM 5.2.2.1
> - IBM Tape driver 1.4.9 (suitable for kernel 2.4.21-4.0.1.EL)
> - QLogic driver for Linux 6.06.60 (I've got 6.06.10 also available)
> - QLogic BIOS 3.15
> - Tape drives and library are at the latest FW
>
> Questions:
>
> - Has anyone got this kind of (similar) combination working?
> - If it should work (like all the README's tell me it should) what am I
> missing or doing wrong?
> - Should I go back to RH EL 2.1 and which version (WS, ES or AS) should
> use?
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Richard.

Hi Richard,

I have successfully installed ITSM 5.2 on a (somewhat) similar setup.
A SUSE Linux ES 8 x86 server and a STK L40 with 2 IBM LTO drives. The
drives were actually SCSI
drives connected to a SAN router in the L40 and then connected (via a
Brocade SAN switch) to the
server with a Qlogic  2310 HBA.

- SuSE Linux ES 8 x86
- Linux kernel 2.4.19-64gb-smp-233
- TSM 5.2.1.2
- IBM Tape driver 1.3.5
- IBM tape drive firmware 27Q1 (I know, ancient =)
- Qlogic driver for Linux 6.06.10 (actually, I think IBM recommended the
6.05.00b9)
- Qlogic firmware 3.02.16

short walkthrough of installation:

(I'm skipping the TSM device drivers here since you only have IBM
hardware.)

* Install and load IBM SCSI module for IBM hardware.
    # rpm -Uvh IBMtape-1.3.5.i386.rpm.bin
    # modprobe IBMtape
    # /usr/sbin/IBMtaped

* Load IBM tapeutil
    # tar xvf IBMtapeutil.1.1.6.i386.tar.bin
    # cd IBMtapeutil.1.1.6.i386 && ./IBMtapeconfig

* Check to see if drives are working

    # ls -l /dev/tsmscsi/               # This might only be for
    # ls -l /dev/st[0-9]
    # ls -l /dev/IBMtape*
    # tapeinfo -f /dev/sg3              # sg3 = library (also do this for
your drives)
    # scsiinfo -i /dev/sg3
    # scsiinfo -i /dev/IBMtape[0-9]
    # loaderinfo -f /dev/sg3
    # mtst -f /dev/(IBMtape|tsmscsi/st) status
    # mtx -f /dev/sg3 load 1 0  # Mount from slot1 to drive0
    # mtx -f /dev/sg3 unload 1 0        # Dismount from drive0 to slot1
    # IBMtapeutil

That should basically be it.

Do the drives show up in /proc/scsi/scsi and in /proc/scsi/cat
sg/device_strs?
Do the drives show up as generic scsi devices? (/dev/sg([0-9])
>From what I remember IBMtaped reports if it successfully finds any
IBM drives or libraries and is very verbose when creating the devices.

Regards,

David Hendén
Exist AB