ADSM-L

Client/Server Expiration Problem

2004-02-12 10:51:42
Subject: Client/Server Expiration Problem
From: "Gretchen L. Thiele" <gretchen AT PRINCETON DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 10:51:16 -0500
Due to a change in policy (and limited storage), we're going to limit
what we back up. The problem lies in how to 'expire' the files on the
server without re-backing up the data, while maintaining deleted files
for the duration of retonly. While we could rename the filespace and
implement the new policy, this is a lot of administrative work and I
don't think we would be able to accomodate the data (storage and
bandwidth).

Prior to the v4.2 client, you could simply exclude the files on the
client side and the files would be expired. This probably led to
unpleasant/unexpected results, so this doesn't work anymore and the
client expire was introduced.

THE PROBLEM: I need to expire subdirectories without explicitly
naming them. The client expire command only expires the named
subdirectory, ignoring any include/exclude statements in the config
files and not accepting -subdir=yes on the command line. If I
enter 'expire c:\junk\*', I expire all of the files in the junk
directory, but none of the files in any subdirectories will be
expired. Wildcards, such as c:\junk\...\*, aren't supported, and
the -filelist option requires explicit filenames and/or directories.

Since I need to run this from the server as a scheduled command and
it's not feasible to get the precise list of subdirectories for each
of 5,000 clients, I'm stumped. Am I missing something?

Server is AIX 5.1, TSM 5.2.2.1 and the clients are Windows (Win9x,
Win2K, WinXP) with TSM 5.x.x.x (will work on Unix nodes after these
are done).

Gretchen Thiele
Princeton University