ADSM-L

Re: ZenWorks for Desktops, 6.5 Clusters & SAN

2004-02-11 12:06:23
Subject: Re: ZenWorks for Desktops, 6.5 Clusters & SAN
From: JOEL LOVELIEN <JLOVELIEN AT ALTRU DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 11:04:19 -0600
Shannon,

We just started using cluster services, and there are a couple of caveats, but
it is very doable.  I don't know how much of a difference it makes, but we are
on Netware 6.0.

One of the first things we had to do was edit the sys:nsn/user/smsrun.bas and
change the line:

nlmArray = Array("SMDR", "TSA600")
nlmArray = Array("SMDR", "TSA600 /cluster=off", "TSAPROXY")

You need to restart sms on the server or bounce it before it will take effect.
There is documentation on this on Novell's support site, but I am not sure if
it applies to 6.5 or not.

The second thing we did was to move away from the dsmc nlm and start using the
dsmcad nlm to handle the scheduling with the "managedservices webclient
schedule" line in the dsm.opt.

Finally, you will want to copy and load an instance of dmscad for each cluster
resource that you will be backing up and reflect these changes in your resource
load and unload scripts.  i.e. for volume1 I make a copy of dsmcad.nlm called
dsmcad1.nlm and load and unload that with the resource.

This is a little simplified, but the other details can be found in the
documentation and the list archive web site.  I think we even used google to
find some of this stuff, but it mostly brought us back to the list archive.  If
you have any further questions, you can contact me directly.

Thanks,
Joel Lovelien

>>> SBach AT MGE DOT COM 2/11/2004 10:45:56 AM >>>
Big changes are coming to my company on the network side.  These changes
include ZenWorks for Desktops and Novell Cluster Services with a SAN.
Currently our TSM Server is version 5.1.7 on an MVS/OS390 and backs-up
many clients of assorted platforms and a couple of Domino TDPs.   Now all
but one of the Novell servers will be going to the Cluster Services with
the SAN.  Yesterday I was approached by the project manager to draw up a
plan for backing up the SAN and ZenWorks.  Said that they would probably
have to go with Veritas because of the Snapshot capability.  Does anyone
out there already have this type of environment?  If so how are you
handling the backups?  Somehow I can't imagine TSM not being able to back
up anything.  Is it a matter of using both TSM & Veritas?  Does anyone
know where I can find some documents on this subject?  Any help at all
would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Shannon

Shannon Bach
Madison Gas & Electric Co.
Operations Analyst - Data Center Services
e-mail sbach AT mge DOT com