ADSM-L

Re: Configuration and Expansion questions

2004-02-10 05:28:17
Subject: Re: Configuration and Expansion questions
From: Paul Ripke <stix AT STIX.HOMEUNIX DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 21:27:12 +1100
On Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004, at 08:12 Australia/Sydney, Prather, Wanda
wrote:

But even so, that doesn't get you drive sharing, only robot sharing.
Buying drives for the 3494 is $$painful.

Ahh - We are currently sharing fibre attached 3590s between two
firewalled
TSM servers - the TSM servers have no access to each other. One is
5.1.x.x,
the other 4.2.x.x. I remember researching this some time back - and I
remember reading in one of the TSM manuals that this is a supported
config.

In our case, it mostly works fine, with the shared drives switching
between
TSM servers via the SCSI reservation mechanism.

I say mostly, since the 4.2 server occasionally gets a "mount point
reserved"
that requires a TSM restart to clear, and the other hassle is SCSI
resets
during reboots of the servers (both Solaris, in our case).

Cheers,
--
Paul Ripke
Unix/OpenVMS/TSM/DBA