ADSM-L

Re: Using Veritas Quick I/O on your TSM Server

2004-02-07 09:19:56
Subject: Re: Using Veritas Quick I/O on your TSM Server
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2004 09:19:32 -0500
>We are running TSM V5.2.2.1 for Solaris on a Solaris 2.8 server. I am
>not a Unix admin. The Unix support team loaded and licensed Veritas
>Quick I/O. According to the TSM Performance tuning guide you either want
>to use Quick I/O or RAW volumes when defining DB, LOG, or Disk pool
>volumes on Solaris. Because our Oracle Administrators use Quick I/O we
>decided to use it on our TSM server. I was under the assumption that all
>you have to do is install Quick I/O and everything will be faster.

Hey, no assuming in systems work!  ;-)
At  eval.veritas.com/downloads/pro/qiowp.pdf  you will find an excellent
presentation on Veritas Quick I/O...an intriguing combination of raw volume
speed and conventional file system manageability.  I just went through that
PDF to learn what Quick I/O is all about.  The Best Practices section of
that doc points out special things you must do to have Quick I/O active,
and I'm sure that its manual goes into a lot more detail.
When dealing with specialized "solutions" such as this, there are always
particulars which have to be observed, and limits on applicability.  I
think your site has to pursue further details.  Post back if this approach
ultimately yields the promised goals of high performance and excellent
manageability.

   Richard Sims,  http://people.bu.edu/rbs