ADSM-L

Re: FW: checkin <vol> checklabel=barcode search=bulk

2004-02-04 12:39:24
Subject: Re: FW: checkin <vol> checklabel=barcode search=bulk
From: Jeffrey Renicker <renicker AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 12:38:53 -0500

We had the same problem at our site - a physically partitioned 3584 library
used by two separate
TSM servers.  Here's the logic of the script I wrote to "fix" to the
problem:

1. Use the tapeutil command to list the tapes in the I/O convenience slots.
2. Check DRM to see if it knows about the tape.  If DRM has no record of
the tape then assume
it belongs to the other TSM server and ignore it.
3. If the tape is defined to DRM then use the tapeutil command to manually
move the
tape to an open slot in the library.
4. Check the tape in using the command:
checkin libvol ibm3584 search=yes checkl=barcode stat=scratch
vollist=volser
5. Do steps 2-4 for each tape found in step 1.

Note that the checkin libvol command in step 4 does not cause a request to
be issued (i.e.
no need to run the "q req" command).

Hope this helps

Jeff Renicker

             "Marcel J.E. Mol"
             <marcel AT mesa DOT nl>
             Sent by: "ADSM:                                            To
             Dist Stor                 ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
             Manager"                                                   cc
             <[email protected]
             .EDU>                                                 Subject
                                       Re: FW: checkin <vol>
                                       checklabel=barcode search=bulk
             02/04/2004 10:18
             AM

             Please respond to
                  marcel

> Hi not sure if this help but this is how we do it.
>
> First I do a move drm for each vaultretrieve that I am going to checkin.
>
> move drm vol1234 wherestate=vaultretrieve tostate=onsiteretrieve
> move drm vol2345 wherestate=vaultretrieve tostate=onsiteretrieve
> move drm vol3456 wherestate=vaultretrieve tostate=onsiteretrieve

Yes, thats what I do too (actually have an extra step to move fron
vaultretrieve to courierretrieve).
And I also want to use this list to specifically check them in.

> The I run the following which I put in a script I call checkin, less
typing
> "run checkin"
>
> checkin libvol ibm3584 search=bulk status=scratch checkl=barcode

But this will checkin all volunes in the bulk, even the ones for the
other logical library (or are not vaultretrieve/courierretrieve for
that matter). That is why I want to use the above list to specifically
checkin the volumes.

> Next q req, and finally, reply request number, that's it. I do not have
> have a drive free for this process because the checkl=barcode.

Operators put in the tapes in the bulk and then run the custom-checkin
script. So if my checkin syntax would have been valid things would have
been much simpler: checkin libv 3584lib <volume> checklabel=barcode
search=bulk

-Marcel

Consulting
> B.V.
>     =======---------        ph. +31-(0)6-54724868          P.O. Box 112
>     =======---------        marcel AT mesa DOT nl                 2630 AC
Nootdorp
> __==== www.mesa.nl ---____U_n_i_x______I_n_t_e_r_n_e_t____ The
Netherlands

--
     ======--------         Marcel J.E. Mol                MESA Consulting
B.V.
    =======---------        ph. +31-(0)6-54724868          P.O. Box 112
    =======---------        marcel AT mesa DOT nl                 2630 AC
Nootdorp
__==== www.mesa.nl ---____U_n_i_x______I_n_t_e_r_n_e_t____ The Netherlands
____
 They couldn't think of a number,           Linux user 1148  --
counter.li.org
    so they gave me a name!  -- Rupert Hine  --  www.ruperthine.com

GIF image

GIF image