ADSM-L

Re: Primary storage pool on disk

2004-02-02 11:32:50
Subject: Re: Primary storage pool on disk
From: Miles Purdy <PURDYM AT FIPD.GC DOT CA>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 10:31:48 -0600
My $0.02...

GOOD storage doesn't get a whole lot cheaper than the FAStT.  Of course you can
use ATA disks, but I wouldn't recommend it. At 7TB, they have quite a bit of
data. If they already have a FAStT, but some drawers with 143GB disks. RAID 5
is fine for this situation. If they want a cheaper solution, use tapes :).

Miles

>>> stef.coene AT DOCUM DOT ORG 30-Jan-04 12:45:47 PM >>>
Hi,

I have a customer who wants to put his primary storage pool on disk.  This is
now 3TB and can grown up to 7TB.  Incremental backup is appr 300GB/night.

But I have some questions?
- What kind of disks should I use?  (the customer has a FastT from IBM with
fiber disks, but he wants a cheaper solution)
- What kind of raid level as protection?  Raid5, JBOD, Raild 0+1, ... ??
- Should I use a DISK type or FILE type storage pool?

Thx.

Stef