ADSM-L

DB & Recovery Log Disk Volume Size

2004-01-30 08:57:28
Subject: DB & Recovery Log Disk Volume Size
From: Joni Moyer <joni.moyer AT HIGHMARK DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 08:56:51 -0500
Hello everyone!

I am currently in the process of creating a new TSM environment on 2 Sun
Solaris servers with the following parameters:  TSM Server IBM p630 4-way
and p630 2-way, AIX 5.1 and 5.2, PCI.  They will both be connected to the
SAN environment via 4 HBA's and will share a Tape Area Network.  The
hardware/media for the tape configuration has not yet been decided.
Currently our 2 TSM servers are on OS/390 2.10.  The one server is 88GB at
73% utilization and has 38 physical volumes (MOD3's).  The recovery log is
11.6GB with an assigned capacity of 5.5GB and it usually only reaches 10%
utilization.  The 2nd server is considerably smaller with an 18GB DB at 76%
utilization with 10 physical volumes (MOD9's) and a 10.4GB recovery log
that is only assigned 4.8GB.  We will be running both environments in
parallel until a majority of the backup data deletes, then we will export
the remaining archived data to the new environment.

What I am wondering is, with moving to a SUN platform and using IBM ESS
Shark DASD, what should the layout of the DB, log and storage pool volumes
be defined as?  I know there are many discussions in the list concerning
this, but I didn't really find the answer I was looking for.  Is there a
maximum number of volumes for the DB and log before performance decreases?
What is a good size for the volumes?  How many volumes should be defined
per physical volume?

If anyone has any suggestions/opinions I would appreciate it!

Joni Moyer
Highmark
Storage Systems
Work:(717)302-6603