ADSM-L

Re: Sending reports from TSM

2004-01-26 06:35:01
Subject: Re: Sending reports from TSM
From: "Bleicher, Thomas" <bleicher AT NETZLINK DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 12:33:56 +0100
> Subject: Sending reports from TSM
>

> Hi
>
> Just wondering what reporting options that are built in to
> TSM.
> I would like to send an email to an administrator in the
> case of, for example, failed schedules. Is there already
> a way to do this in TSM?

"Build in" may stretching it a bit but you can install the
TSM Operational Reporting tool TSMCON5220_WIN.exe from

ftp://service.boulder.ibm.com/storage/tivoli-storage-management/maintenance/server/v5r2/WIN/LATEST/

I hope it's still free to download and use. There are some
predefined reports which present a summery of daily activities
and at least can give you a warning about failed schedules.
Of course you can define your own queries.

> If there is, I can't find one! My idea is to do either
> do run a query and send the results to a file and have
> the OS send it as a mail later, or to run a script in
> cron (our TSM server is running on Linux) that runs a
> query and sends a mail all in one.

Query, report and email a covert by the tool above - you
have to install it on Windows server, though.

If you want more intelligence in your reports (i. e. send
only an email when there was an error) or you don't have
a Windows server available you can do regular queries of
the actlog and grep/perl/python/sh-search the result for
important messages codes. The admin command-line interface
has options for non-intractive use. You should create an
admin user only for the reports (role of "analyst") since
you will have to store the password in the script.

If you have a C-programmer at hand you could ask him/her to
write you an user-exit function to interface to your scripts
or other monitoring tools. This will allow you instant
reaction on critical messages. Everything else will be
triggert by cron - or the TSM scheduler, of course.

Thomas Bleicher
Netzlink Informationstechnik GmbH, Braunschweig, Germany