ADSM-L

Re: RAW vs. JFS question

2004-01-22 10:22:37
Subject: Re: RAW vs. JFS question
From: Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 10:22:37 -0500
As for the AIX perspective, we too converted everything TSM related, to
RAW versus JFS (we went through the IBM Technical Exchange seminars,
especially the ones that covered PERFORMANCE).

>From what we can tell, things seem to have become worse. We have not seen
any drastic (or just really noticable) performance benefits from RAW.

"French, Michael" <Michael.French AT SAVVIS DOT NET>
01/22/2004 10:12 AM

        To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
        cc:

        I can't speak to AIX, I use Solaris but I just converted all of
my volumes from mounted, VXFS ones to RAW and the performance difference
has been huge.  I converted one of my servers this past Saturday, I have
10 DB vols and 10 mirrors plus 1 large volume and a mirror.  I started
expiration processing on Sunday and it has processed almost 14 million
objects since then.  It would have taken 6 months or more of doing this
steadily to get the same amount completed.  Also, I had many client
sessions that weren't completing each day do to having really large file
spaces (Solaris clients), they now complete normally each morning
instead of running all day.

        I am using Solaris 8 on E4500 servers with 4 processors and 4 GB
RAM with TSM 5.1.8.1.  I completed converting all of my servers this
past Tuesday and I have seen the same performance gains across the
board.

Michael French
Savvis Communications
IDS01 Santa Clara, CA