ADSM-L

Re: dsm.opt domain backup order

2004-01-20 10:39:18
Subject: Re: dsm.opt domain backup order
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 08:38:00 -0700
The order in which domains are processed is undocumented, as we did not
intend to provide a preferred sequence. If you wish to back up the file
systems in a particular sequence, here are some alternatives:

a) Use separate "dsmc incremental" commands, like this:

   dsmc incremental /fs1
   dsmc incremental /fs2
   dsmc incremental /fs3

b) Create a file containing "incremental" commands in the preferred
sequence, then run "dsmc macro" against this file, like this:

   contents of mymacro.txt:

      incremental /fs1
      incremental /fs2
      incremental /fs3

   then run:

      dsmc macro mymacro.txt

c) Specify your file systems on the command line:

   dsmc incremental /fs1 /fs2 /fs3

The file specifications are processed in sequence from left to right. In
this case, though, you may be limited by the 20 file specification maximum
of the command line interface (depending on the number of file systems you
have to back up).

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group

The command line is your friend.

Alexander Lazarevich <alazarev AT ITG.UIUC DOT EDU>
01/20/2004 08:17