ADSM-L

Re: Backup of all-local -systemonject

2004-01-09 10:58:44
Subject: Re: Backup of all-local -systemonject
From: Bill Kelly <kellywh AT AUBURN DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2004 09:58:24 -0600
On Fri, 9 Jan 2004, Lambelet,Rene,VEVEY,GL-CSC wrote:

> could you help me, I'd like to backup all local volumes like C., D: etc. BUT
> without the system state !
>
> We did not succceed with  "Domain all-local -systemobject"

How exactly is the backup being done?  With the 'incremental' command
(scheduled or via command line) or 'on-demand' via the GUI?  If
incremental, then the 'domain -systemobject' (or 'domain all-local
-systemobject', which is the same thing) should work.  However, the
'domain' statement doesn't affect 'on-demand' backups, so if the user
selects the System Object in the GUI and then clicks 'Backup', it will be
backed up even if you have a 'domain -systemobject'.

I've recently been through all of this; as far as I can tell, there is no
way to absolutely prevent a client from backing up the System Object if
the user really wants to.  No 'exclude.systemobject', no nothing.

I hope I'm wrong on this, and if so, I'd love for someone to correct me!

Thanks,
Bill

Bill Kelly
Auburn University OIT