ADSM-L

Re: Taking an end-of-year snapshot

2004-01-08 14:08:27
Subject: Re: Taking an end-of-year snapshot
From: Tom Kauffman <KauffmanT AT NIBCO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2004 14:08:07 -0500
I've been hit with this 'requirement' twice.

I've let the powers-that-be know that there are two options:
1) We *will* shut down *all* operations for 30 to 60 days while all
databases are converted to flat-files (with ALL binary fields converted to
ascii WITH all redundant data on each record to allow re-loading the
database) AND we will snapshot the executables AND the hardware (yes, that
means to purchase and warehouse the hardware!)

or
2) I can *guarantee* that the data on the tapes will *NOT* be usable in two
years.

I've had to do conversion from Burroughs Medium System (B3700) to Honeywell
(DPS-8) to IBM (4381/MVS) to IBM (RS-6000/AIX) and I will not touch
proprietary format or binary data (and after the Honeywell conversion, I
want the data UNBLOCKED and in a record length divisable by 4)

And I'm not afraid to say the same thing to the auditors when they come
around.

If your applications are properly designed and implemented, they retain the
proper data for legal requirements as they stand OR have an 'export to
flatfile' option that can be used to archive the data as required in a
reloadable format. You just have to guarantee availability of the
application 10 years down the road . . .

Tom Kauffman
NIBCO, Inc