ADSM-L

Re: moving a primary sequential access storage pool to another library

2004-01-06 19:00:32
Subject: Re: moving a primary sequential access storage pool to another library
From: Tab Trepagnier <Tab.Trepagnier AT LAITRAM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 17:59:00 -0600
Joel / Doug,

TSM allows you to do that without error.  But your old data is accessible
only if the media types match.  I just updated a DLT device class to point
to a 3575 Magstar library and the command succeeded.  But one wonders how
TSM would read the existing DLTs in the 3575.

The original post didn't mention media, but we use that very technique
with our offsite tape libraries.  I have a two-drive DLT library that is
an installed spare for the main four-drive DLT library.  Our copypool is
defined on the four-drive library.  To use the two-drive as the host for
the copypool, I just do the UPDATE  DEVCLASS command and point the device
class definition to the two-drive library.  Everything works as though
nothing happened at the storage pool level.

Because the media match on both libraries, tapes written in one can be
checked out and checked back into the other.  Works AOK.  We've tested it.

All of this is why I don't build any "intelligence" into device class
names.  Ours are "DEV01", "DEV02", etc.  I don't include any model
numbers, media types, etc.

Hope this helps.

Tab Trepagnier
TSM Administrator
Laitram, L.L.C.

Doug Thorneycroft <dthorneycroft AT LACSD DOT ORG>
01/06/2004 09:44 AM
Please respond to dthorneycroft