ADSM-L

Re: Taking an end-of-year snapshot

2004-01-06 10:10:23
Subject: Re: Taking an end-of-year snapshot
From: "Stapleton, Mark" <stapleto AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 09:09:56 -0600
From:   Mark Ferraretto [mailto:mark.ferraretto AT DB DOT COM]
>What I want to do is to take an snapshot of our TSM data as it was at end
of year 1/1/04 and archive it away for 10 years.  Is this possible?  I
haven't found a way of doing it.<

You could do this with the backupset process, but you'd have to make one for
each TSM client.

>I was thinking that I could generate a backup set and backdate the
snapshot the backup set would take but there doesn't seem to be an option
to do this.<

When I saw this, all I could think of was the song "The Way We Were"...

There's no way to go back in time to do this. The best you could do is to make
the backupsets now.

However, you need to ask yourself the question: why am I doing this? To what
end is this preservation being done? If you have legal needs for some data to
be kept for 10 years, pick the data and run a 10-year archive.

You may get warm fuzzies by preserving all your data for 10 years, but I'll
wager a good beer that is *all* you'll get.