ADSM-L

Re: Unload/LoadDB question

2004-01-06 07:50:24
Subject: Re: Unload/LoadDB question
From: "Hart, Charles" <charles.hart AT MEDTRONIC DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 06:50:01 -0600
This may help you to reduce the number of dbvols, hence begin able to reduce
size. You could also acquire another set of disks that you can move the DB
(while live) to.  IE lets say you have 5 db vols, even thought you only have
20-30% utilized its probably spread across all the vols making it impossible to
reduce or consolidate on only a few volumes.  What we've done to move the DB or
log vols around (consolidate) is to create new DB vols on different set of disk
then start one be one to delete the original DB volumes.

Example (TSM Will automatically move DB Data to new Vols)

Original Volumes (4 volumes + Mirrors)
/dev/vol1
/dev/vol1mir  (First Del Mirrors Vols)
/dev/vol2
/dev/vol2mir  (First Del Mirrors Vols)
/dev/vol3
/dev/vol4mir  (First Del Mirrors Vols)
/dev/vol4
/dev/vol4mir  (First Del Mirrors Vols)

Once you have deleted the Mirrors (they wont move you have to do a db copy once
you move primary volumes.
Start to delete the Primary Vol1, it will move to the new vol01 proceed with
the rest.  Once the primaries are done you can do you db dopy's to the mir
volumes.

New Vols (2 volumes + Mirrors)
/dev/vol01
/dev/vol01mir
/dev/vol02
/dev/vol02mir

Once this is all done you should be able to reduce the db further.  If some one
see's an issue with this process please let me know.

Regards,

Charles