ADSM-L

Re: List all tapes, highlighting those in library.

2004-01-05 18:47:16
Subject: Re: List all tapes, highlighting those in library.
From: Dan Foster <dsf AT GLOBALCROSSING DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 23:46:57 +0000
Hot Diggety! Deon George was rumored to have written:
> Has anybody got an SQL, that can list all VOLUMES, and highlight (either
> showing the element number or something) those that are in the library?
>
> This report would be useful to see quickly if a list of tapes are already
> in the library - or which tapes in the list are not and need to be checked
> in.

I got a list of tables by doing:

tsm> select tabnames,remarks from tables

Then I decided to look at the table called LIBVOLUMES because your request
is essentially the SQL equivalent of 'query libvolume'.

So then I decided to see what fields (columns) were present in the table
called 'LIBVOLUMES' with:

tsm: MYSERVER>select colname from columns where tabname='LIBVOLUMES'

COLNAME
------------------
LIBRARY_NAME
VOLUME_NAME
STATUS
OWNER
LAST_USE
HOME_ELEMENT
CLEANINGS_LEFT

Based on that, I figured only three columns might be useful. So:

tsm> select library_name,volume_name,home_element from libvolumes

...which would produce an output like:

tsm: MYSERVER>select library_name,volume_name,home_element from libvolumes

LIBRARY_NAME           VOLUME_NAME            HOME_ELEMENT
------------------     ------------------     ------------
3584LIB1               MYS000                         1026
3584LIB1               MYS001                         1027
3584LIB1               MYS002                         1028
3584LIB1               MYS003                         1029
3584LIB1               MYS004                         1030
3584LIB1               MYS005                         1031

If you have only one library, you are free to leave the library_name off
the select query.

Parse the results as you like, regardless of if it's called via an internal
TSM server-side script or if it's called via a script that parses the
output of calling dsmadmc in batch mode. It is trivial in either case.

-Dan