ADSM-L

Re: 3584 LTO1 new firmware installed : 36UC

2003-12-31 08:33:27
Subject: Re: 3584 LTO1 new firmware installed : 36UC
From: Dan Foster <dsf AT GLOBALCROSSING DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 13:33:08 +0000
Hot Diggety! Lambelet,Rene,VEVEY,GL-CSC was rumored to have written:

> we just upgraded the firmware for our LTO1 drives in the 3584. Version in
> now 36UC instead of 36U7. The bad bug (ask your CE about it please, if
> you are using 36U7) should be fixed now!! (Library is still at firmware
> level 3480).

More details from the CE an half hour ago:

LTO gen 1 drives with microcode version 36U6 through 36UB is affected by
this *really* serious bug. IBM is recommending customers put 36U5 on now if
they can't/won't load 36UC right away.

The bug: if certain types of permanent write errors is encountered during
operation AND a subsequent rewind command is issued, then an end of data
mark may be written at the BOT (beginning of tape).

That effectively "loses" existing data on the tape. The data can be
recovered but they must be sent to IBM for that, and to be arranged through
customer's CE if this pops up.

Looks like I get to load 36UC on Friday afternoon. :) Otherwise, you don't
want to find out at disaster recovery time that some tapes are not
currently usable for restores, with a wait of days or weeks between repair
and getting it back.

-Dan