ADSM-L

DRM for Linux TSM server

2003-12-23 11:50:48
Subject: DRM for Linux TSM server
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT MAIL.TJU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 11:50:10 -0500
Manuals for the 5.2.2 levels of the various TSM server implementations
are now available on the Web. I was pleased to see that the Linux
server manuals document DRM as part of the product. I was less pleased
when I looked over the sample recovery plan in the "Administrator's
Guide".

>From PLANFILE.DESCRIPTION:
Server for Sun Solaris - Version 4, Release 1, Level x.x/x.x

>From RECOVERY.INSTRUCTIONS.INSTALL:
The base  server system is SunOS 5.5.1 running on an
Ultra-Enterprise 4000.  The SunOS 5.5.1 operating system
and product installation media is stored at the vault.
There is also a copy in bldg 24 room 4 cabinet a.  The system
administrator responsible for the SunOS 5.5.1 and installation
is Fred Myers.

>From MACHINE.RECOVERY.MEDIA.REQUIRED:
Recovery Media Name: SUNOPSYS
                 Type: Other
         Volume Names:
             Location: IRONMNT

It would appear that the Linux DRM documentation was never reviewed
by anyone aware that Solaris and Linux are two different things. One
hopes that the DRM code was ported to Linux by people with somewhat
stronger technical backgrounds.