ADSM-L

Tivoli and iptables on Linux - solution

2003-12-22 15:55:47
Subject: Tivoli and iptables on Linux - solution
From: David Menges <David.Menges AT UCHSC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 13:55:04 -0700
Earlier I posted a message asking for help regarding Tivoli 5.2.0.0 on
Red Hat 8.0 Linux.  I was getting a Java error when trying to use the
web client interface (via IE 6.0 SP1 with JRE 1.4.2_03).

I found the problem to be that, as the IBM manual states in Chapter 2,
the two TCP/IP ports for the remote workstation* will be assigned to two
random ports - which iptables has blocked.  You'll want to choose two
ports and explicitly open them in iptables.  For example:

In dsm.sys:

        webports        1582 1583

In /etc/sysconfig/iptables:

        -A RH-Lokkit-0-50-INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 1582 --syn -j
ACCEPT
        -A RH-Lokkit-0-50-INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 1583 --syn -j
ACCEPT

and then restart dsmcad and iptables (/etc/rc.d/init.d/iptables
restart).

* The wording is funny - it's not ports on the workstation, it's ports
on the machine that is backed up, to let your desktop, the workstation,
in.