ADSM-L

backup Informix IDS9.4

2003-12-18 06:56:26
Subject: backup Informix IDS9.4
From: "kurt.beyers AT pandora DOT be" <kurt.beyers AT PANDORA DOT BE>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 12:55:56 +0100
Hello,

My environment is the following:

TSM Server 4.1.4.1 on Windows NT
TSM BA client 4.1.2.14 on HPUX11.0
TDP Informix 4.1.2.0 on the HPUX server running Informix IDS 9.4

I know that these versions aren't supported any more, but the customer doesn't
want to upgrade.

The prior version of Informix was IDS 9.21. The backup went fine.

Since the upgrade to IDS9.4, the following statement is occuring a lot in the
bar_act.log file:

 "2003-12-16 22:15:24 24672  24663 Warning: BAR_TIMEOUT Storage Manager
Progress may be stalled."

No error is found in the activity log at the same time.

This message occurs a lot and results in a failure of the backup. The
COMMTIMEOUT and IDLETIMEOUT in the TSM server is already increased to 7200
seconds.

Is anybody taking a successfull backup of IDS9.4? How do you get rid of this
bar_timeout during the backup. I've found already that this BAR_TIMEOUT is
hard-coded to 600 seconds in Informix, but I didn't find a workaround for it
yet.

A level 0 / 1 backup started from the command prompt is sometimes successfull,
but if it is started by the TSM scheduler, it is only successfull by exception.

Thanks for any help or guidance to solve this problem.

Best regards,

Kurt Beyers