ADSM-L

Re: Intermittant TSM Server - Database stops

2003-12-17 07:41:23
Subject: Re: Intermittant TSM Server - Database stops
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 07:41:00 -0500
>TSM Verson 5.1.0 is the server level.
>
>Taking the server up to say 5.1.6 may well fix it Richard. Unfortunately, we
>live an far from perfect world and we have SAN agents running that need to
>go up at the same time. These agents are across a great many nodes.  So
>these issues need also to be considered.

Stephen - That's what I was afraid of.  You are running on a base-level system
          with NO maintenance fixes.  As we've said on the List, you have to
expect problems under such implementation choices.  I think you now realize
that you need to get to a solid maintenance level.  Until then, you will have
to try to circumvent the various problems that arise.  I don't know that it
necessarily follows that other software in your environment would fail to
interoperate with a modestly updated TSM server: in many cases, TSM component
levels can be a whole version apart and continue to function well.  By all
means, fully investigate that.

I would strongly urge sites to avoid, if at all possible, implementing
environments grounded upon base-level software.  Where time allows, give a
new version time to settle down and develop a matured code base before
adopting it, to avoid instabilities.

   Richard Sims, BU