ADSM-L

Re: TSM 5.2.x/AIX 5.1 upgrade issue/question

2003-12-12 11:30:05
Subject: Re: TSM 5.2.x/AIX 5.1 upgrade issue/question
From: Ben Bullock <bbullock AT MICRON DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 09:29:26 -0700
        Hmm, I know that we have updated the Atape software in the past
and have not needed a reboot to use it, but in our current procedure, we
are getting a reboot after the update...

        This is 1000-foot view of the process we are using:
        - Use our NIM server to do an "alt-disk-migration" of the OS to
AIX5.2.
        - Reboot onto the AIX 5.2. (not bring up the TSM server at this
point)
        - Fix all the little things that need tweaking after the OS
upgrade (ssh, NIS+, BMC agent, sendmail, dump device, etc).
        - Change links to boot in 64-bit mode.
        - Update Atape and atldd drivers (with the "rmdev" and "cfgmgr"
of them).
        - Reboot again (Primarily to get into 64-bit mode, but is also
helpful in making sure all daemons and such work on reboot).
        - Rip out all Tivoli software.
        - Install 64-bit versions of server 5.2.0.0 then patch to
5.2.1.0 & 5.2.1.3.
        - Install 64-bit client version 5.2.0.0.
        - Start it all up.

        This method has worked for us so far (knock on wood).

Ben